Peter Carruthers freely shares 32 years of small business experience, including 13 years of living online in SA, England and Norway, to answer readers business questions.
Business Questions about Going Online
- I’m interested in making a living online?
- Looking for ideas to sell on the Internet
- Do I know anyone who has succeeded with Bitcoin or Online trading?
- Does Affiliate marketing work?
- If I run a successful online website selling a product, (in South Africa), and find that I start receiving overseas requests for the same product, is it a good idea to open a duplicate of the .co.za domain in the USA as a .net or other domain extension? Will this affect the SEO of the site?
- How does one run an online business without a physical warehouse?
Business Questions about Online marketing
- Must I sign up with someone to do Google Adwords?
- Won’t my website automatically display?
- How do I get onto the first page of Google’s search engine
- How do you go about affiliate marketing in South Africa if none of the major online retailers have existing programs, or have such poor terms and conditions that it would not be profitable.
- How important is social media such as twitter, Instagram, facebook, etc for your business. How prevalent is it for the South African space. Please specify order of importance.
- What effective ways are there for an insurance and medical aid broker in the SA legislated environment to broaden your client base, using your current clientele?
- How can I find new clients via the Internet inexpensively?
Business Questions about Online Payment Processing
- We receive payments into our PayPal account from customers in the US. We want to pay our US suppliers from that account as well. Ever since FNB got into bed with PayPal we must transfer those funds into Rands. Can I keep ignoring those messages?
- Which payment gateways do I recommend? Thinking about Payfast. What percentage should we be paying them?
- I plan to offer courses, training and consulting from South America into the USA. How does this work from a third world country? How can I offer 1st world services online. Is there enough Internet? And how do I route the funds back to me?
Business Questions about moving from South Africa
- LSD Working trial in Mauritius. Local Government demanding excessive paperwork
- Planning a move to Mauritius end 2017. Business Consulting Service. How can we get traction from here. How best can we move there. How best can we duplicate the model there.